Consultants and specialist doctors have taken part in industrial action over pay. This was the first time these two groups of doctors went on strike in Northern Ireland, and while some routine and elective services were cancelled, the Department of Health said 90% had gone ahead. Full emergency cover remained in place and patients could attend all scheduled appointments unless advised otherwise.
The 24-hour industrial action began at on Thursday and ended at 07:00 on Friday, but there were no picket line demonstrations. Health Minister Mike Nesbitt said he was disappointed doctors went ahead with strike action and he remained committed to implementing this year's pay award but was currently unable to do so in the absence of an agreed budget. Dr David Farren, chairman of the British Medical Association's (BMA) Northern Ireland consultants committee said that while the walk out was primarily about pay it was also about recruiting and retaining doctors in Northern Ireland to deliver the services.
Speaking on Good Morning Ulster, Nesbitt said: "If I could give them more than 3.5% then I would be very happy to do so." He said every minister in the executive was concerned about their budget. Hospital doctors to strike in dispute over pay Specialist doctors to join strike in dispute over pay Backdated health workers' pay award to go ahead, says minister On Thursday, the Southern Trust said that 143 outpatient appointments had been rescheduled, as had 11 surgeries. The South Eastern Health Trust said Lagan Valley Hospital's urgent care centre is closed because of the strike action.
The Northern Trust said that five planned day procedures, 62 outpatient appointments and 64 radiology appointments had been rescheduled. The Belfast Trust said it was "expecting significant disruption" to its services as a result of planned industrial action on Thursday and Monday. It said 569 outpatient appointments had been postponed as well as 114 day cases.
It added any patients affected by the industrial action would be contacted directly and an alternative date would be arranged as soon as possible. Anyone else should attend their appointment as planned. The Western Trust said 321 appointments had been postponed or cancelled on Thursday.
These included inpatients, outpatients and day cases. The BMA balloted its members over a four-week period after doctors' leaders rejected a recommended 3.5% pay uplift from an independent pay body. Earlier this month it was announced that 92% of resident doctors voted yes and 79% of consultants voted for strike action.
Extract — continue reading at the source.