sözaltı news World
World
EN AZ
French peacekeeper killed in southern Lebanon

French peacekeeper killed in southern Lebanon

bbc.com 18.04.2026 18:53 30 baxış
President Macron blames the attack on Hezbollah. The Iran-backed armed group denies "any connection" to the incident.

A French peacekeeper has been killed and three others wounded after a UN patrol came under fire in southern Lebanon, in what officials described as a deliberate attack. The soldier was serving with the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (Unifil), which confirmed that one peacekeeper had died and three others were injured, two of them seriously, when their patrol came under small-arms fire. French President Emmanuel Macron blamed the attack on Hezbollah.

The Iran-backed armed group denied "any connection" to the incident. It comes amid heightened tensions in southern Lebanon, where peacekeepers have faced growing risks since renewed fighting between Hezbollah and Israel erupted on 2 March. On Sunday, Unifil confirmed the French peacekeeper's body would be repatriated to Paris.

Two severely injured peacekeepers were still receiving treatment in Beirut, while a third peacekeeper was being treated for "moderate injuries" in southern Lebanon, it added. A 10-day ceasefire between Israel and Lebanon came into effect on 16 April. The US, which announced the deal, urged Hezbollah to abide by its terms.

"Everything suggests that responsibility for this attack lies with Hezbollah," Macron said. "France demands that the Lebanese authorities immediately arrest the perpetrators and take their responsibilities alongside Unifil." France's Armed Forces Minister Catherine Vautrin said the peacekeeper had been part of a mission to reopen access to a Unifil position that had been cut off by the recent fighting when it had been "ambushed by an armed group at very close range". Vautrin added that he was "hit immediately by a direct shot from a small arms weapon" and was pulled away by fellow soldiers, who were unable to revive him.

A spokesperson for UN Secretary General António Guterres condemned the attack, adding that an initial assessment from Unifil suggested that the team came under fire from "non-state actors", which they presumed to be Hezbollah. The spokesperson urges all parties to "respect the cessation of hostilities and to cease fire". Unifil said the patrol had been clearing explosive ordnance along a road in the village of Ghanduriyah to reconnect isolated positions.

The Lebanese Armed Forces said the incident followed exchanges of fire with armed individuals, adding that it was co-ordinating closely with Unifil during what it described as a sensitive phase in southern Lebanon. Lebanon's President Joseph Aoun condemned the attack and told Macron during a phone call that those responsible would be brought to justice. Prime Minister Nawaf Salam has also ordered an investigation.

Extract — continue reading at the source.

Read full story