sözaltı news World
World
EN AZ
Prosecutor probes abuse claims against California governor candidate Swalwell

Prosecutor probes abuse claims against California governor candidate Swalwell

bbc.com 12.04.2026 09:22 19 baxış
The high-profile Democrat, a leading contender in California's governor race, firmly denies the accusations.

The Manhattan District Attorney's Office says it has launched an investigation into sexual misconduct allegations against Democratic Congressman Eric Swalwell. Four women have accused him of misconduct ranging from sexual harassment to rape, including an alleged incident in New York. Swalwell, a leading contender in California's governor race, denies the claims, vowing to defend himself with "facts".

"We urge survivors and anyone with knowledge of these allegations to contact our Special Victims Division," said the New York City prosecutor's office. Representatives for Swalwell - who was elected in 2012 to a district near San Francisco - did not immediately respond to the BBC's request for comment. In urging accusers to come forwards, the distict attorney's office said on Saturday: "Our specially trained prosecutors, investigators and counsellors are well-equipped to help you in a trauma-informed, survivor-centered manner." The investigation comes a day after Swalwell said the allegations were "false".

"For nearly 20 years, I have served the public - as a prosecutor and a congressman, and have always protected women," the married father-of-three added. "I will defend myself with the facts and where necessary bring legal action." The first allegation against Swalwell emerged publicly on Friday in the San Francisco Chronicle. A former staff member told the newspaper that shortly after being hired to work in his district office in Castro Valley, Swalwell began making inappropriate comments, including soliciting her for sex and sending her sexual messages.

The woman alleged to the Chronicle that she had been assaulted twice by Swalwell. She told the newspaper the first alleged incident happened in September 2019 after they had gone out for drinks. She said the second alleged assault occurred in 2024, when she said she met Swalwell after a charity gala in New York.

On both occasions, she said she was too intoxicated to consent. The BBC has not been able to independently verify her account or identity, but has contacted her attorney for comment. CNN then published accusations from four women of sexual misconduct against Swalwell.

His legal team has sent cease-and-desist letters to two of the accusers, according to the broadcaster. Swalwell said in a video message on Facebook that he wanted the public to hear directly from him and again denied the allegations. "I do not suggest to you that I am perfect or a saint," he said.

Extract — continue reading at the source.

Read full story