sözaltı news World
World
EN AZ
Rights group urges FIFA to block Infantino re-election bid over term limits

Rights group urges FIFA to block Infantino re-election bid over term limits

aljazeera.com 17.08.2026 17:21 15 baxış
FairSquare says the FIFA president should not be able to run again under the world football organisation's statutes.

Human rights organisation FairSquare has urged FIFA to rule that Gianni Infantino is ineligible to seek another term as the football governing body’s president, arguing he ⁠has already served the maximum three terms permitted under the body’s statutes. FIFA presidents are limited to three terms in office. However, in 2022, Infantino successfully argued that his first spell in charge, which began when he was elected at an Extraordinary FIFA Congress ⁠in 2016 following Sepp Blatter’s resignation, should not count towards that limit because it completed an interrupted mandate.

In a letter sent to FIFA’s Governance, Audit and Compliance Committee (GACC) as reported by The Athletic, FairSquare said that interpretation was inconsistent with FIFA statutes. The vote is scheduled to take place in Morocco on March 18. Last week, UEFA, the Asian Football Confederation and CONCACAF called for a review of Infantino’s conduct after FIFA proposed creating a $20bn subsidiary linked to its competitions, including the World Cup, to ⁠attract private investment.

Sources with knowledge of the situation told that the three confederations viewed the letter ⁠as an opportunity for Infantino to quit with his dignity intact. Several national associations have also voiced concerns. Scottish Football Association chief executive Ian Maxwell told the BBC on Monday that his federation would not support Infantino’s re-election.

Infantino, however, retains the backing of the African and South American confederations. FairSquare also questioned the transparency of the 2022 ruling, saying the committee’s reasoning had never been made public. The letter to the GACC was drafted with assistance from Miguel Maduro, the former head of FIFA’s independent Governance and Review Committee, who said the governing body could not disregard its ‌own rules.

Extract — continue reading at the source.

Read full story