sözaltı news World
World
EN AZ
Burnham expected to give mayors new powers over local planning decisions

Burnham expected to give mayors new powers over local planning decisions

theguardian.com 23.08.2026 07:00 16 baxış
Move would allow mayors to greenlight large-scale developments and have more say on national housing fundingAndy Burnham is expected to give mayors new powers to take control of local planning decisions and greenlight la

Andy Burnham is expected to give mayors new powers to take control of local planning decisions and greenlight large-scale developments in proposals to be presented next week. The move would allow mayors to “call in” the decisions and direct councils to take them forward or refuse them. They will also be able to grant upfront permission so developers can start building without having to apply.

It will apply to developments of more than 150 homes, commercial spaces of more than 15,000 sq m or any building 30 metres or taller – which is roughly 10 storeys. Burnham told the Sunday Times that he understood the argument that devolving powers to mayors to push through such projects could disempower councillors, MPs and constituents. He said: “Sometimes … challenge does need to be made to local decision-making, and actually it cuts both ways.

Sometimes it’s the other way round. It will bring them into line with the mayor of London, Sir Sadiq Khan, who was given the powers earlier this year in what was billed as an emergency measure aimed at unblocking dozens of stalled sites to get thousands more affordable homes built in the capital. Burnham added: “In my view, it will prompt a much more joined-up discussion about planning and local authorities.

The decisions must be in line with planning rules, local plans set out for areas and the national policy, and ministers will retain a backstop power to intervene. Mayors will also get more of a say on how national housing funding from Homes England will be spent in their areas, in addition to being able to charge a levy on development to fund large infrastructure. A consultation will be published next week.

The Liberal Democrats said the move was a “direct attack” that would silence residents. Gideon Amos, the party’s housing and planning spokesperson, said: “Taking powers away from communities and local councillors is taking powers away from local people. This plan is a direct attack on communities across the country.

Extract — continue reading at the source.

Read full story